Saturday, October 2, 2010

Christopher's

Overview: On our first trip to Christopher's in Porter Square we immediately dubbed it our new "Harry's". Harry's was our go to bar in Brighton, now that we live in Cambridge we had to find a new spot. They have a constantly rotating selection of beers on draught, many of which are seasonal and hard to find. There is always a great selection of bitter ales to suit Mike's unusual taste for beer.



Medium Dead: During my first visit I just about strained my neck watching burgers fly out of the kitchen in every direction, so I was very excited to eat the burger this weekend. Christopher's has an entire page on the menu dedicated to "Burgahs", but there was little doubt that I would order the English burger. My favorite burgers are simple: burger, cheese, bacon, tomato and red onion. The English burger fits this definition exactly. I was a little skeptical that it was served on an English Muffin, but instead of a flimsy Thomas's English Muffin, I was surprised with a thick Wolferman's original English Muffin. This burger is a great bar burger. Christopher's uses naturally raised Coleman beef and marinates the burger in ale before grilling it exactly how I wanted it. I order my burgers rare and I am usually a little disappointed when its closer to medium rare or worse. Not so at Christopher's; the burger came out with a perfect red center. I know its cooked perfectly when Heather is afraid to take bite. The English burger is rounded out with thick applewood smoked bacon and melted cheddar. I also added a healthy smear of mayo. The excellent burger sealed Christopher's fate as my new "regular" bar.

Medium Well: Although Christopher's has an extensive list of burgers to choose from, it seems as though the one they are most proud of is their homemade veggie burger. I love veggie burgers, sometimes more than a regular burger, but I have had very bad experiences when ordering one in a restuarant. They are often disappointing, a token item added to appease vegetarians, with toppings haphazardly chosen because they seem like earth-loving favorites. When the toppings aren't off, the spices are usually too strong, as though the chef decided the natural taste needed to be covered up. I am happy to say that Christophers has done none of this, and offers a good, yet not exceptional, vegetarian burger. The pesto and roasted peppers compliment the whole grain and vegetable taste, and the side salad made with field greens, tomatoes and kalamata olive is a pleasing side. This is not my favorite vegetarian burger, but just like everything else at Christopher's, it makes for a fine choice.

The Verdict: The food is reasonably priced and the beer list is extensive, making Christopher's the ideal spot to launch a night out or grab a quick meal with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment