Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Trina's Starlite Lounge

Overview: With a name that implies Rat Pack style lounge and a façade that suggests ultimate dive bar, Trina’s Starlite Lounge is one of the best surprises Somerville has to offer. Serving up diner style comfort food, Trina’s updates popular American classics such hot dogs and cheeseburgers, fried chicken and waffles, and Salisbury steak. Expect to wait a while for a table at this popular hipster hang out, but use the time to sample some of their specialty cocktails.



Medium Dead: It’s not often that I can’t decide what to order, but when the waitress read the specials at Trina’s, I knew I was in trouble. I immediately was drawn to the Kobe beef dog special, but I was also dying to try the Trina’s burger and I couldn’t get my mind off of the fried chicken and waffles. Dilemma of the century?! Yes, I think so. In the end I had to order both the burger and hot dog (I will go back for the fried chicken) and I wasn't disappointed. I am just glad there were enough people at my table to help me eat it.

The Kobe hot dog was split down the center, covered in cheese and bacon, and topped with an over easy fried egg. Part-breakfast-part-dinner, this hot dog is amazing. From the description, you would think that so many toppings would take away from the dog, but this is not the case. Trina’s has taught me that cheese, bacon, and runny egg really do belong on top of encased meat.
The burger was equally as impressive as the hot dog. I am not normally a fan of a lot of toppings on a cheeseburger but when I heard the description I couldn’t refuse: double cheese burger with coleslaw, spicy aioli, and a pile of French fries. The burger wasn’t huge (thank god) since the patties were thin. Despite being cooked diner style and eliminating the choice of doneness, the burgers were still flavorful and juicy. The coleslaw was crispy and full of mayo, and the French fries soaked up all of the juices. TSL is definitely one of my new favorite restaurants and will undoubtedly make it into the regular rotation.

Medium Well: I did not order the burger at Trina’s, because let’s face it, there is more to enjoy in life than cheeseburgers. Take mac and cheese, for example. When I am in the mood for a guilty pleasure, there is nothing more satisfying than a bowl full of cheesy, creamy, ooey gooey, macaroni and cheese. There are about as many variations of mac and cheese as there are cheeseburgers, and thankfully, Trina’s passes the test. Made with a blend of cheddar and cream cheeses, the mac and cheese has the perfect amount of sharpness balanced by the perfect amount of creaminess. The crumbled Ritz crackers were a decent alternative to breadcrumbs, but I would have reduced the amount by half. I did try Mike’s burger special and hot dog delight, and agree that both were absolutely amazing. It takes courage to offer menu items that completely disregard the convention of American classics, and Trina manages to do so while maintaining the integrity of the dish.


Bonus Bites: Cheese fries and gravy fries are offered al la carte, in sizable portions that are ideal for sharing. What’s not to like about crispy fries covered in cheese sauce or in brown gravy with specks of tender meat loaf?

No comments:

Post a Comment